The Acropolis

A philosophy discussion forum hosted by

Jim Macdonald's Philosophy Page

The Acropolis
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Demon Of Wishes, or Wish = Idolatry?

Wow. After reading Goth's posting, I have to say I am astounded at some of the statements. For instance, wishing is close to idolatry? Idolatry is defined as the worship of idols (from the greek eidlolatrei (eidolon = idol, latrei = service) or the blind and excessive devotion to something. Presumably, as wishes do not physically manifest as statues (jk) I assume you mean the latter. However, I hasten to add that most people who wish on an eyelash, for example, do not believe that the act of wishing upon it will have a real and significant impact upon common reality. Indeed, I have never met anyone in my life I would say has a blind and excessive devotion to superstition accept where that superstition is found in that persons religion. For example, the Catholic belief that there is magickal power in the form of the crucifix, or power in the common name of Rabbi Yesua. These things, though, are products of the society and culture we grow up in. Wishes are the ultimate representation of the deepest, and noblest, of all human mental components; man's ability to hope. We wish for positive outcomes to whatever it is we wish for, as part of a normal and healthy hope for the best. Perhaps it is when we stop wishing that we truly become evil, for not wishing/hoping for positive things is to encourage negative things. I agree, however, that silly superstitionism has done horrible things to the world.

Also, I was profoundly astounded by this statement:

"By acknowledging our deepest desires we enables (sic) demons and dukes of hell to penetrate our minds so that themselves (sic) are aware of our wants, needs and desires and will work around that to make us fall into temptation"

To learn of ourselves is perhaps the greatest endeavor, as it can provide a lifetime of deep thought and introspection. By acknowledging our deepest desires we can then find ways to satisfy the positive needs and quell the negative. To use parable, imagine a doctor, you, trying to make whole and healthy a body (your mind). If the doctor knows only those things of your body that are healthy, and not of those things which are unhealthy, how can this doctor heal? It is necessary, nay imperative, that we learn all we can about ourselves and how we work, as this pursuit leads to higher realms of thought than the simple choice between good and bad.

Also, you said :

"Now where is the difference between shooting somebody and wishing the death of a person such as your enemy."

From a general standpoint, yes, both are negative. I can ASSURE you, however, that if you had the choice between having a gun or a wish aimed at you you would choose the former.