The Acropolis

A philosophy discussion forum hosted by

Jim Macdonald's Philosophy Page

The Acropolis
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Demon Of Wishes

STOP and stare at the world in which you live in, and count how many times in a day you did an action or saw an opportunity that would enable you to make a wish, it does not have to be extravagant or rare it could simply be that one of your eyebrow or eyelash fell down or perhaps having witness the beauty of a shooting star. How about all the time that you found a coin or made a wish on the first cigarette of your pack, did you know that if by any chance or coincidence you happen to flick off a cigarette and that the bud separates from the roach that would also allow you to make a wish. Could anyone tell me how many full moons are there in a year?

Now let’s approach the concept of wishing from a new prospective: Wishes are another form of prayer they may not be address directly to God and probably are not based on any specific religious purposes but they still remained a sort of idolatry. Wishes came from the superstitions created or philosophised by man. The more wishes we make the more satisfied we become with ourselves as we get acquainted with a superficial feeling best known under terms such as happiness, contentment, hope…etc…etc. Now here is a theory worth to look at: The more wishes we happen to make in a day, the more superficial satisfaction we’ll end up getting and the lesser we’ll bow down to pray, as the need to pray has been shadowed by superficiality that we created for ourselves blinding us from the reality of this world. To err is human but to repeat error is of the devil; by constantly repeating the same mistake consciencelessly. We result in losing our values and principles that were once the salt of our souls.

Sadly and happily this is only one prospective out the million that remains.

On the other hand here is another possibility. When we make a wish we normally ask for the deepest of our desires, such as becoming wealthier, prettier or perhaps we make a wish for a personal achievement believing that even if it doesn’t happen we still wished about it and end up thinking that by doing so we did everything possible even begging providence…(making a wish).
By acknowledging our deepest desires we enables demons and dukes of hell to penetrate our minds so that themselves are aware of our wants, needs and desires and will work around that to make us fall into temptation, if we take into considerations the fact that we also tend to wish what we do not dare or think to pray about also weaken the link between you and your Spirituality (God) which makes it even easier for evil deeds to be committed.

Small sins big sins they are all the same: Now where is the difference between shooting somebody and wishing the death of a person such as your enemy. In heaven they might both be considered as a crime. Where is the difference between killing a person and acknowledging all the demons and dark forces of your desire to see that specific person dead. Small sins big sins they are all the same…

Wasn't it Descartes who came up with the idea of “The Demon” who might be making a set of images, illusions, trying to tricks us into their propaganda. Can anyone tell me why something as innocent as a wish could not a form of prayer to the darkness of our lives?

I know that this paper is far form being detailed complete or accurate for any body to completely rely on. But at least here is a new picture to be introduced in our minds and spirits allowing us to change the unawarable.

Goth Charles Wesley

Re: The Demon Of Wishes

Dear Goth -

I don't find your arguments at all convincing.

To take just one example from what you wrote:

"Small sins big sins they are all the same: Now where is the difference between shooting somebody and wishing the death of a person such as your enemy. In heaven they might both be considered as a crime. Where is the difference between killing a person and acknowledging all the demons and dark forces of your desire to see that specific person dead. Small sins big sins they are all the same…"

Isn't this just a Mansonesque pose?

Do you really expect me to believe that you, personally, would treat as equal phenomena someone treading on your toe and someone ripping your head off?

If your point is that objectively speaking (from some "up there" vantage point) there is no difference, I don't accept that. Your logic could not discriminate between someone inadvertently brushing a hair off my head and someone ripping my head off. Both do me "harm". Or what about someone accidentally blowing a skin cell off my body. Isn't that on a par with murder according to you?

You seem to be peddling something similar to the nonsensical Jesus-Jimmy Carter line that adultery of the heart is as bad as real adultery. Ask the average spouse is my response to that.

Jesus and Jimmy presumably argue in repsonse that they are talking about purity of the heart. Well yes.That is not illogical. If a pure heart is good, better than an impure one, then one can see that one should strive for purity of the heart. But that begs a big quesiton. IS PURITY OF THE HEART really achievable. If it is generally not (i.e. if we all, saints as well as sinners, have impure thoguhts that have to be suppressed for our own good and hte good of others) then it is a mere chimera. And even assuming it is achievable, is it best achieved by equating thoughts with actions or is it best achieved by seeking to act in accordance with what one knows to be good.

To my mind ethics is essentially a very simple matter. We all (bar a few psycopaths) know really what it is to behave ethically. Some people CHOOSE not to behave ethically. Sometimes it is because their lust for personal gain,of whatever type, overcomes their rational understanding. Sometimes, it is simply a pose. It will always be more interesting ot be bad than good. Sometimes it is because they have had a really bad deal in life (deserted by parents, early abuse and so on) and they don't see why other people shouldn't suffer like they have. That's understandable.

Ethics and unethical behaviour is really a matter of applied reason.

David

Re: The Demon Of Wishes, or Wish = Idolatry?

Wow. After reading Goth's posting, I have to say I am astounded at some of the statements. For instance, wishing is close to idolatry? Idolatry is defined as the worship of idols (from the greek eidlolatrei (eidolon = idol, latrei = service) or the blind and excessive devotion to something. Presumably, as wishes do not physically manifest as statues (jk) I assume you mean the latter. However, I hasten to add that most people who wish on an eyelash, for example, do not believe that the act of wishing upon it will have a real and significant impact upon common reality. Indeed, I have never met anyone in my life I would say has a blind and excessive devotion to superstition accept where that superstition is found in that persons religion. For example, the Catholic belief that there is magickal power in the form of the crucifix, or power in the common name of Rabbi Yesua. These things, though, are products of the society and culture we grow up in. Wishes are the ultimate representation of the deepest, and noblest, of all human mental components; man's ability to hope. We wish for positive outcomes to whatever it is we wish for, as part of a normal and healthy hope for the best. Perhaps it is when we stop wishing that we truly become evil, for not wishing/hoping for positive things is to encourage negative things. I agree, however, that silly superstitionism has done horrible things to the world.

Also, I was profoundly astounded by this statement:

"By acknowledging our deepest desires we enables (sic) demons and dukes of hell to penetrate our minds so that themselves (sic) are aware of our wants, needs and desires and will work around that to make us fall into temptation"

To learn of ourselves is perhaps the greatest endeavor, as it can provide a lifetime of deep thought and introspection. By acknowledging our deepest desires we can then find ways to satisfy the positive needs and quell the negative. To use parable, imagine a doctor, you, trying to make whole and healthy a body (your mind). If the doctor knows only those things of your body that are healthy, and not of those things which are unhealthy, how can this doctor heal? It is necessary, nay imperative, that we learn all we can about ourselves and how we work, as this pursuit leads to higher realms of thought than the simple choice between good and bad.

Also, you said :

"Now where is the difference between shooting somebody and wishing the death of a person such as your enemy."

From a general standpoint, yes, both are negative. I can ASSURE you, however, that if you had the choice between having a gun or a wish aimed at you you would choose the former.