New Location: New DTA Forum

Hope to see you there!

The '61-'71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum #40
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: getting oiled

More than you may care to know about oil and lubrication...

Personally, I think the zinc thing is overblown except during break-in. Seems that the biggest proponents of ZDDP also sell it.

That said, I will break in my new Poly on dino with additives then switch to synthetics. May add a little STP red for zinc.

Dave

Re: Re: getting oiled

DO NOT use synthetics in a newly rebuilt "old school" motor until you have at least 7500 miles on it.
The rings won't seat properly

Re: Re: Re: getting oiled

I agree with all that's posted if you assemble it all together: viscosity per climate, consider additives, in England Castrol is your most likely choice for top quality, but synthetics are fine too. The caution on holding off using synthetic until after complete break-in is dead right, or your engine will be dead-dead not much later.

Re: getting oiled

I like Lucas oil additive. Its like the old STP oil treatment. I also use Rotella T 10W30 by shell in the cuda. Its a heavier duty oil.

Personally I also take fish oil, 2 pills a day. Fish oil is an EFA (essential fatty acid) that increases your HDLs, the good lippo protiens that carry cholesterol out of your blood back into the liver. Its also a joint anti-inflammatory. Maybe putting a few pills in the old 318 would do it some good, eh??

Fish head