Return to Website

RailWest Message Board

This Message Board is intended for information and queries relating to the railways of the UK West Country.

RailWest Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Milverton Station (Somerset)

Further to my query last Christmas I've been able to gather most of the information required with the exception of the buildings. The information I have to hand is that the station building and the goods shed were both basically standard Bristol and Exeter style so if anyone has any details to enable me to make a reasonable representation I would be very grateful. Photos of the buildings in the style mentioned would be more than welcome.

Re: Milverton Station (Somerset)

I am unclear from your message whether you have any photographs at all of the goods shed and station building, or are just looking for more. Certainly there are a few views in the Middleton Press "Taunton to Barnstaple" volume. Another book to look at might be Derek Phillips's "Steaming through the Cheddar Valley" (pub OPC), as the Yatton - Wells section was of B&E origin and it contains many good photographs of that style of architecture.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Further to my query last Christmas I've been able to gather most of the information required with the exception of the buildings. The information I have to hand is that the station building and the goods shed were both basically standard Bristol and Exeter style so if anyone has any details to enable me to make a reasonable representation I would be very grateful. Photos of the buildings in the style mentioned would be more than welcome.

Re: Re: Milverton Station (Somerset)

Norm,

I've only just caught up with your messages. I'm not sure I agree with your 'standard B&ER style' of the buildings - the line was built by the impecunious Devon & Somerset Railway & the buildings are much plainer than what I would consider to be B&E style. However the timber waiting shelter on the up platform, added later, about 1880 when the loopline was laid, was pure B&ER (although by then of course the B&ER & GWR had amalgamated).

Are you aware of this UK station photograph reference site: http://www.mulehouse.demon.co.uk/stations

It includes 21 references to Milverton, several of which will have more than 1 photo. Unfortunately I don't think any of them will show you the road-side elevation of the station buildings. As all the Milverton buildings have long since disappeared under a road scheme there's now no chance of adding to the number of photos.

Replying to:

I am unclear from your message whether you have any photographs at all of the goods shed and station building, or are just looking for more. Certainly there are a few views in the Middleton Press "Taunton to Barnstaple" volume. Another book to look at might be Derek Phillips's "Steaming through the Cheddar Valley" (pub OPC), as the Yatton - Wells section was of B&E origin and it contains many good photographs of that style of architecture.

Replying to: