A philosophy discussion forum hosted by

Jim Macdonald's Philosophy Page

The Acropolis
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
This forum died

Everyone,

This forum died because the participants elected to challenge anyone that posted, no matter what.

Life is far too short for continued conflict of ideologies, for at some point if you continue to challenge others in the world of your realm, you inevitably challenge yourself beyond your ability to reason a logical response.

Think about this: Each of us has more in common with one another than our differences of opinion.

Why not talk about, and discuss what we do have in common instead of discussing the differences we may have?

Through the discourse of common belief the bridge across our differences will be found, and until philosophers understand that, the world will continue to trek on its journey of mediocrity.

Jazz

Re: This forum died

I think the important thing is not so much disagreement, nor attacks on one's philosophical position, but the animus that may (or may not) motivate such attacks. Philosophy is about debate, it is a culture of argument, but mean-spirited and vicious and personal attacks on people really aren't part of philosophy and shouldn't be. I think it is this excessive hostility that people truly object to.

Re: Re: This forum died

J.Climachus,

Agreed! Debate suffers when animosity leads to belittlement; thus, discourse ends, chaos begins.

Out of chaos, emerges chaos; chaos leads to more chaos, and the first thing everyone realizes, nothing was gained by such exercises.

Jazz

Re: Re: Re: This forum died

there is always something gained.

we've gained the knowledge of what not to let happen again. or when to cut off the debate.

well, i think i have anyway.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

J.Climachus,

Agreed! Debate suffers when animosity leads to belittlement; thus, discourse ends, chaos begins.

Out of chaos, emerges chaos; chaos leads to more chaos, and the first thing everyone realizes, nothing was gained by such exercises.

Jazz

Re: This forum died

This forum is not dead, it is thriving! For it is in discourse and exchange of ideas and beliefs that we learn, and that we better understand our own beliefs. "Question everything, keep the good." The worst offense in philosophy is anger and namecalling. These attitudes reflect neither intellect nor a thirst for wisdom but rather a childish defensiveness of ones own pride. When we challenge someone philosophically, it should be to learn from them, to help them, or to better understand our own beliefs. That is why as long as philosophers continue to challenge, to question, and to seek wisdom in this forum, it will never die.