A philosophy discussion forum hosted by

Jim Macdonald's Philosophy Page

The Acropolis
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big Bang Philosophy, and perhaps God

Hello,

I believe in Big Bang theory, and I will do until a majority of scientific minds - each far more able than the one I was blessed with - suggest that it would be illogical, with the evidence available at the time, to believe so.

However I have concerns about viewing the big bang as a one off event in our past because of the implausability of a 1:infinity chance. The fact that this is regarded as having been a unique event also raises questions about our definition(s) of infinity. In other words - if there was a beginning (a single Big Bang), can it be viewed as being infinite? Can't infinite also mean to be without birth as well as without death. This is certainly how I define infinity.

If mathematics suggests that a 1 : infinity chance is unsound, shouldn't we be asking the following questions? (after which, I have added my own views and comments):

1/ If, according to the mathematics, the Big Bang was not a one off event, what came before it?

- I suggest that the answer might be preceding big bangs, ad infinitum. This suggests that the universe has, throughout time, gone through the same processes of birth (Big Bang), expansion/growth...and then ultimately contraction and death. Currently - according to this theory, we are at the expansion stage. The evidence of stars moving further away from each other would support this.

2/ If the Big Bang was a one off event - in other words a mathematical freak (also impossibility??), how was this possible?

- God? Or some other yet unexplained reason?....I have spent a considerable amount of time thinking about alternatives, but as yet have been unable to think of anything suitably rational.

I do not like the idea of 'one offs', and because we do not have any evidence of there being a God, I believe in the theory of universal birth, death and rebirth.

This theory also offers explanations to why life has appeared on earth, and nowhere else. Perhaps we were in exactly the right point in space at the right time, to allow life to develop. All of the necessary building blocks were there at that exact point, at that exact time after the big bang (of our time).

If we imagine the big bang as being at the epicentre, with all subsequent universal developments taking place around the circumference of it - perhaps life had to be formed at that particular distance away from the epicentre of creation....Perhaps if we move around the epicentre with these parameters in mind we may find more life.

I find the whole idea intriguing...Because it raises questions about not just universal rebirth, but human rebirth too, because if this process has been going on infinitum...then the possibilities and chances are also infinite, which means that life itself - and each of us as individuals can feasibly be re created in the future...In fact we can be re created an infinite number of times, and may already have been. If life itself is viewed within a wider context, rather than just the human - we could quite feasibly have been born, died and re-born an infinite number of times, as an infinite number of life forms...trees, spiders, flowers, cows....or perhaps other life forms from a different universal time.

Maybe this whole universal process of birth, growth, death and re birth should be viewed as being as much a part of the natural order of things as anything else - the sun rising/setting etc.

However - as much as I love the idea of universal death and rebirth, it does not answer 2 more big questions: 1/ What happens outside of this universe while this process is happening?
2/ What created the process itself?

I would suggest that there might be an infinite number of universes operating in exactly the same way as our own, outside of this one. This, to me, seems much more rational than thinking of there being simply nothing (what is nothing???.....exactly!).

What created the universal process? I hate answering a question with another question - but in this case I have to....does an infinte cycle of life require a creator?

I think that we could all take comfort in the theory investigated above because both ultimate scenarios suggested offer positive conclusions: Either we are reborn repeatedly an infinite number of times, or we die and return to our creator in Nirvana/Heaven.

As for the meaning of life?!! I am unfortunately having trouble finding a satisfactory answer to this question...But I sincerely believe that if we knew all of the answers, then life itself would be much less exciting. Our lack of knowledge and our inability to know everything drives on the pioneering nature of the human spirit to make new discoveries and search for answers to questions that cannot currently be answered. Perhaps some of these questions never will be. Maybe therefore:

'The meaning of life is to find the answers to the questions that we have not yet answered'.

I hope that some of you can find use for this theory!

Re: Big Bang Philosophy, and perhaps God

I do not like the idea of 'one offs', and because we do not have any evidence of there being a God, I believe in the theory of universal birth, death and rebirth.

all your questions and answer to them are contained in above statement of yours

there is no evidence of GOD and there is no evidence of big bang either, only hypothesis.

you believe in reincarnation- so did you choose to be a human, if you don't know then some one must have forced you ? that some authority is GOD.
i am replying to your post, also because GOD wants to tell you that He exists and if you so desire he shall communicate with you via medium of your choice.
GOD s messenger