The Acropolis

A philosophy discussion forum hosted by

Jim Macdonald's Philosophy Page

The Acropolis
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
morality?

these days morality is all the rage in the US with the new surge in terrorism the newest of police actions and the ongoing scourge of drugs sex and rock and roll some people wonder if morality is even a working idea anymore.

in a world were children kill parents and parents neglect children where the soft glow of a tv set is the patriach and the mindless thrumming of the newest pop sensation invites a yerning in the loins of preteens. people begin to question the validity of ethics to even begin to sift through the sociological tumult of today.

now is this the begining of the end predicted in so many ancient religeous texts. is this the armegeden that the massess have wanted the final course in human development?

my guess it is whatever a few strong individuals want it to be. today the world is in dire need of leaders not people with power or suave grace. they need the philosophers of old. not this new age whiny babble. philosophy has long since been the playground of academia. This is where little timmy grows up justifying every selfish thing he has ever done with warped logic and skewed outlook on the world. they need old school philosophers. remember socrates who died because he believed in what he said. died for principle. or rousseau who was beaten his writings burned but kept trudging.we need people who believe what they say and more importantly do what they teach i belive that the world is on the brink of a social evolution or de evolution and that it is our choice to make. the is ripe for revolution it is in the air so make a stand for anything that you feel is important to society we all die someday but ideas and passion are eternal. what we say now will effect the future. find your way and live your way do not conform. suffer for your reality, and inso justify your existence. suffering for the future is the most noble thing you can do for yourself, your children, and your loved ones.

Re: morality?

i dont understand the bit that says "ideas and passion are eternal." do you have a reason to beleive that?

Re: Re: morality?

i believe tht toughts are eternal because in the end even philosophy is based on the supposition tht thoughtsare real....... so since it is ethereal it can not be destroyed it lives on in fragments through others who come in contact with u strong passion is the same way even years later people still live lives dedicated to others passions

i just think people in general not sparing myself either, are not responsible enough the idea of having control over anything especillly ones own life is scary to most and terrifing to society tht means tht anyone with strong will wether uneducated or handicapped can change the entire world in a lifetime
and as philosophers we even more thn others have a duty to make this world a better place