A philosophy discussion forum hosted by

Jim Macdonald's Philosophy Page

The Acropolis
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
youth and philosophy

Hello!
I work in a private, residential school. This school year I began a philosophy club for the high school students. We meet after school once per week. Although many of our discussions center around ethical dilemmas, and end up being debates, we also explore other areas of philosophy, such as aesthetics, epistemology, and the importance of being an individual and thinking for yourself.
Does anyone know of other successful high school philosophy clubs? Although I am certain I will never run out of topics to discuss, I am very interested in what other similar groups have done and how prevalent high school philosophy clubs are.

Thanks!

Re: youth and philosophy

A few years ago when I was in High School, I started a Philosophy Club for the student body. It lasted one year, because of what I later learned was "pressure from above" on the teacher/sponsor of my club. It seems in Texas that schools are frightened by intellectuals 'rocking the boat'. I sincerely hope your club is a resounding success. Tell those kids I think that they are very lucky to have someone care so much about them as to teach them philosophy. (we didn't even have a philosophy class at my old HS, even though we were a 5A school with over 2200 students!)

Sincerely,
Will L.

Re: Re: youth and philosophy

Will,
May I ask what your philosophy club did to "rock the boat"? Why, specifically, was there pressure to end it?

Bob