A philosophy discussion forum hosted by

Jim Macdonald's Philosophy Page

The Acropolis
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Nothing Can Be Proven period

Very true. Only you can prove your existence and only I can prove mine.

Re: Nothing Can Be Proven

Can you prove that nothing can be proven? Well, if so, then something CAN be proven and you're wrong. Otherwise, if you can't prove that "nothing can be proven," then your failure to establish that nothing can be proven means that something, somewhere, COULD be proven and your overgeneral statement is still wrong. Either way, it seems clear that your statement above is unwarranted.

Re: Re: Nothing Can Be Proven

Prove it.

Indeed. One might also point out that the desire to prove whether or not reality exists proves that the desire itself exists. So we have proof that something does indeed exist. If the desire exists, than does not desire prove one of several things; that because you have desire (meaning a state of mild or otherwise suffering from the lack of something one feels one does not possess) you are a:not in control of reality, therefore it exists outside of the self, b: that you have a desire for suffering which proves the existence of mental processes outside of your control.... All in all, by merely stating that nothing can be proven we prove alot.

what 'thing' can be disproven?

why must such a great part of learning be the recognition of redundant patterns- 'tail-chasing'?

yet, is the medium the message? is 'round and round' how it really goes? what part of 'self-recognition' is not tail-chasing???!!!

aaagghhhhh!!!

sean

Re: Nothing Can Be Proven

I would first like to say that evryone who replyed to this, exept me of course, are all fools.

Secondly there are PLENTY of thigs that can be prooven, namely all maths, 3+5=8, ALWAYS, and there will always be 180 degrees in a triangle. thirdly we sense stuff, or so we think, and we happen to think we sense trillions (LOTS) of things so there must be something, as we have allready established. But there are these ideas of many things, so they must hav come from sumthing, another being, or another group of things, so there must be an equal amount of things that we percieve than what is real. so infact reality is infact some thing as complex or more complex than what reality as we think is! This is all prooven by the quote by Descartes "I think therefore i am." He is thinking so everything he thinks is.

I hope this teches something to you fools
Salix

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Nothing can be proven but one's own existence. "I think therefore I am". The universe could be a figment of my imagination.

dude salix you truly are the fool here. i actually find your ignorance amusing but most here probably find it base and arrogant... remember the only right answer is the ones you personally find not what some neo-macarthyist facist has to dictate to you so listen up you my egotistical friend are truly the only fool. if you truly had anything intelligent to say it would have to be in a rational and mannerly way. but since you dont and all you feel like doing is pushing down on people who have honest questions. why dont you go back to picking on someone in your same intellect i.e. kicking defensless animals stealing little siblings piggy bank etc

p.s. i love you!

dude cheer up

Interesting you have undertaken an excercise in futility now have you. well let us say that you are right and nothing can be proven then does it matter what i do right now or even if there is a now or a cause or pupose to my actions. so does this sound horribly dry and depressing. ........honestly no!
this is just the way to think. so any time any thought or idea pops into your head do not judge it just let it be. if there is no me or you then thougts are your only form of life therefore no worries carpe diem right?
i like descartes honestly i do but i believe this makes more sense in apsychological manner cogo ergo sum. i think therefore i am....i have habitual thoughts which represent themselves in behavior, so these behaviors become part of me so every habitual thought builds on to this once simple idea to make who i am today. which would explain why i do so many strange and sometime inexplicable things.

a little of your question but this is the conclusion on the subject that i personally came to. but thats the point right to ask questions to grow personally

Re: dude cheer up

Hmmm i would forstly like to say: before you start quoting some one in another language (Latin) you should really know the language first as i do. its actually "cogito ergo sum". Secondly you shouldnt call someone a fool unless you teach philosophy for a living, namely working for Purple Horse Industries.
Philosophy isnt some thing u can just say this is what it might be/might not be, theres no point of trying to get an answer unless you get the right answer, otherwise your just a scientist, and you dont want to be that, unless your andrew, my boss, and my subordonate.
Please if you wish to get further instruction i am not happy but willing to teach some fools on the proper manner of taking on philosophy head on.
plz email me at the above adress.
i will give you proper techniques on buisness management, insanity, and mars invasion

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Interesting you have undertaken an excercise in futility now have you. well let us say that you are right and nothing can be proven then does it matter what i do right now or even if there is a now or a cause or pupose to my actions. so does this sound horribly dry and depressing. ........honestly no!
this is just the way to think. so any time any thought or idea pops into your head do not judge it just let it be. if there is no me or you then thougts are your only form of life therefore no worries carpe diem right?
i like descartes honestly i do but i believe this makes more sense in apsychological manner cogo ergo sum. i think therefore i am....i have habitual thoughts which represent themselves in behavior, so these behaviors become part of me so every habitual thought builds on to this once simple idea to make who i am today. which would explain why i do so many strange and sometime inexplicable things.

a little of your question but this is the conclusion on the subject that i personally came to. but thats the point right to ask questions to grow personally

Re: Re: dude cheer up

ok pre grad listen up im only going to say this once CHILL OUT it doesnt matter what either of us think this guy has an honest question. as a philosopher you should realize that sometimes we have to put our own opinions aside and honestly listen to one argument i.e. gestalt. any true philosopher is able to play devils advocate. remember that we as philosophers are held to a different set of values as "society" and one of them is all are welcome and the question is the only truth. im sure you are used to the neo-philosophers whiny struggle with fitting in i.e. high school sociology. but you do not need to worry so much about prestige or looking more intelligent than anyone else here. these are simple games of the masses, we as philosophers have no ego to hinder and care not for the trappings of power. so chill out

p.s. numbers are not real angles are not real proofs and physics not real. if so prove them show me a number that is not man made a proof beyond the making of man we are man therefore fallible

i love you more