New Location: New DTA Forum

Hope to see you there!

The '61-'71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum #40
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Driveline Noise (unidentified)

"1971 Dodge crewcab W200 power wagon 6' box"
I hear the noise when in top gear (4th) and pulling a hill only if I let it get to lugging. Lugging say,.. 40 mph and under. It is not a rattle or spark ping. It truly is a driveline noise. I would have thought carrier bearing but this has a transfer case in place of.

So, are we thinking transfer case bearing or transmission output shaft bearing, or other,..? Gordo

Sheeze now bravenet is trying, 12345678910 for each thread. We want coloring for past post we have read,!!

Re: Driveline Noise (unidentified)

Any chance that you might hear a bearing noise in reverse?
It may be a transmission shaft bearing in 4th (and reverse) or a U-joint (doubtful if you only hear it in one gear).

As for Bravenet, hang in there, we've only had a day to investigate ( 2 hours actually )

Loose clutch disc springs make a ringing noise. Should be audible in other gears when lugging (put your left foot on the brake & try it in 3rd,, same rpm)

Hey a couple good directions, thanks. Yes, I have a noisy reverse. But they sorta all are. I'll give revers a listen again. I think it is extra noisy.

I'll try the 3rd gear with brake but I tried it with loaded trailer on and no luck. I'll give it another though. Good ideas, I'll update when I get there.

Actually Norm, I like where they are going with the forum if they tweak some. Gordo

I posted a repl,, it said loading,, I went away for an hour,, it was still loading. So I will try again.
The noise is like a bell getting struck,, kind of like the d/shaft is ringing. Those little springs get hot & lose and vibrate like crazy,,, was a prevelent problem in the day.