The '61-'71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum Has Moved

New Location: New DTA Forum

Hope to see you there!

The '61-'71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum #40
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fuel gauge question

Im working on my M-37. The fuel gauge never worked properly. It was either completely on E or it I tapped it it would zing all the way to full and stay there. I reconditioned the tank and put in a new sending unit 2 years ago. Under inspection of the instument cluster, the gauge has 2 posts on the back. One post is pluggeg into the main instrument wireing harness, the other is for the sending unit, I assume. This post was not plugged in. I found what I think is the sending unit wire, plugged it in. Still no go.

Can anyone tell me how to bench test a fuel gauge? Any idea as to what may be wrong?

War Fish

Re: Fuel gauge question

I'm not familiar with M-37 but all other Mopars I know of use a voltage regulator, usually right on the instrument panel, to reduce supply voltage to 5VDC. M's are 24V, so it's a 24VDC-5VDC regulator or converter.

These old one are crude, using leaf type contacts similar to a reed switch. The contacts can get corroded or the whole thing can get grunged up cuasing erratic operation.

There's a conversion process for 12VDC systems for changing to solid state circuitry. It consists of a +5VDC Voltage Regulator, and Elecetrolytic Capacitor & a Heat Sink. Radio Shack P/N 276-1770a is a voltage regulator rated for 35VDC input, converting to 5VDC output, which works fine for 12VDC input supply, should work for 24VDC. Radio Shack 272-1014 is a 22mfd electrolytic capacitor, and the heat sink is anything that will fit, the larger the better.

If you have the little rectangular 5VDC regulator on instrument panel then that's the usual problem.

I posted at Dodge Link for Richard Ehrenberg tech info on the problem.