The '61-'71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum Has Moved

New Location: New DTA Forum

Hope to see you there!

The '61-'71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum #40
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Restoring Hardware - Finishes

When I tear something down (the front clip of the 63 Town Panel, in this case), I try to retain as much of the original hardware as possible - bolts, nuts, washers, clips. Mostly successful, I like to clean up the old rusty stuff on the wire wheel.

But now I have a piece that is very subject to corrosion - the original plating is mostly (or completely) gone.

What do you guys do?

Dave

Re: Restoring Hardware - Finishes

Either replace it with stainless or paint it with por-15.
Por15 is nasty wicked stuff, don't get it on your hands, it will take a long time for it to wear off. Works great a thread locker too

Re: Re: Restoring Hardware - Finishes

My experience with POR-15 agrees with the nasty part, but I don't see it sticking well to the nice shiney nuts and bolts after a visit to the wire wheel.

Eastwoods has a blax oxide kit, but that isn't stock. I often dunk them in Pickle-X or the equivalent.

Unfortunately, I will paint the front end parts prior to reassembly so the bolts will not get the epoxy primer/enamel coat protection that the rest of the metal gets.

Not a big deal, really. Just hoping for something easy that I've missed.

FWIW, I got the front clip off (incl doors) and disassembled on the '63 TP losing only 8 bolts, and 4 of those can't be seen.

Its all in the details.

Dave

Re: Re: Re: Restoring Hardware - Finishes

i plated all my frame bolts, washers and nuts using the zinc plating kit from eastwood. i also clearcoated them... more photos at the dodge link...

Ben

forgot to add...

once you go down the path of plating each and every nut and bolt it becomes an exercise in OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

anything you cut a corner on will stick out like a sore thumb... i cut a few corners on a couple thing to thing have to go back and make it right...

i can't wait to drive it so it gets a nice layer of road burn on all that hard work :o)

Shipwright's Disease

Beautiful! Thanks for the photo.

How did you like the Eastwood's kit?

The DPO undercoated the outsides of my frame rails, and its sticking like glue, so I'm not thinking or removing it.

Dave

Re: Shipwright's Disease

it is ok but be sure to follow the directions to the letter and use fresh batteries on every session.

i bought extra zinc and acid a couple times - it seems to work better when it is fresh.

it is sensitive to the oils on your hands so be careful in how you handle degreased bolts and what not. it does not seem to work well on bigger parts.

for bigger parts i simply bought cold galvanizing paint and put several very light coats on it so it wouldn't run and then clear coated it. results were similar but not as durable as the zinc plating.

Ben

Hey, Ben, just for the record, I'm an ex shipwright too! Worked with the old Skookum crew PNW, blue water wood boats. Another world.....

JimmieD
Hey, Ben, just for the record, I'm an ex shipwright too! Worked with the old Skookum crew PNW, blue water wood boats. Another world.....

what is a shipwright?

Re: forgot to add...

ben
once you go down the path of plating each and every nut and bolt it becomes an exercise in OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

anything you cut a corner on will stick out like a sore thumb... i cut a few corners on a couple thing to thing have to go back and make it right...

i can't wait to drive it so it gets a nice layer of road burn on all that hard work :o)

I hope you do drive your truck Ben, I have seen guys pour a ton of time and money into their projects saying all the time... I am going to drive it. But, when it is done... they never do. (I refer to myself a little bit here ) Pictures Looks great!

I also recommend to anyone starting out on any type of resto/repair, figure out what your going to do with the truck/car/motorcycle BEFORE starting the resto. That way, you won't waist time or money on different things like having something chromed and then later, your sorry because now you can't afford the REST of the stuff to get chromed. (you get the idea) OR on the other hand, half way through a project, you change your mind and 'wish' you did a better job in finishing a certain part better.

This is just general stuff for all guys, not you in particular Ben.

Jim

Re: forgot to add...

Jims68

I hope you do drive your truck Ben, I have seen guys pour a ton of time and money into their projects saying all the time... I am going to drive it. But, when it is done... they never do. (I refer to myself a little bit here ) Pictures Looks great!

I also recommend to anyone starting out on any type of resto/repair, figure out what your going to do with the truck/car/motorcycle BEFORE starting the resto. That way, you won't waist time or money on different things like having something chromed and then later, your sorry because now you can't afford the REST of the stuff to get chromed. (you get the idea) OR on the other hand, half way through a project, you change your mind and 'wish' you did a better job in finishing a certain part better.

This is just general stuff for all guys, not you in particular Ben.

Jim

thanks Jim,

also to add to what Jim said: i set a small budget aside for every month - usually $100 or $200. some months i spent more and other months i did not spend anything. keeping a journal and taking pictures as you go helps keep you motivated.

i have been driving it in the neighborhood - it is fun! need to get it done so i can drive it to work and shows now )

in six years of working on my truck i have a ton of money in it but it has been fun. i want to say i have 15,000 but i did some quick math and it is probably closer to 21 or 22 now... that is cheap for six years of therapy

Ben

Shipwright's Disease - Ben

Well, Ben, looks like the new edit feature works fine. A day later I can't remember who mentioned being a former shipwright in their response, but it's gone now. Maybe Dave Speed, as his post is titled Shipwright's disease? Thought it was you that mentioned it.

Shipwright: various trades craftsman working on boats.

Re: Shipwright's Disease - Ben

JimmieD
Well, Ben, looks like the new edit feature works fine. A day later I can't remember who mentioned being a former shipwright in their response, but it's gone now. Maybe Dave Speed, as his post is titled Shipwright's disease? Thought it was you that mentioned it.

Shipwright: various trades craftsman working on boats.

that's cool.

both of my brothers were machinist mates while they were in the Navy but i guess Shipwright is merchant marine lingo...

i would have gone into the Navy as well but i tend to march to the beat of my own drum and would not get along well on a boat :o) kinda a rebel without a clue...

Ben

ben

i would have gone into the Navy as well but i tend to march to the beat of my own drum and would not get along well on a boat :o) kinda a rebel without a clue...

Ben

WHOA.... NEVER say boat when talking about the Navy. They are Ships. Boats are what you play with in the bathtub. HAHA I know this because I was corrected once by a "Navy" man. I was never in the Navy or any branch of military for that matter. (I "think" sailors may refer to Subs as "Boats", but not 100%)

Jim

Jims68

WHOA.... NEVER say boat when talking about the Navy. They are Ships. Boats are what you play with in the bathtub. HAHA I know this because I was corrected once by a "Navy" man. I was never in the Navy or any branch of military for that matter. (I "think" sailors may refer to Subs as "Boats", but not 100%)

Jim

yep - one of the brothers was on a ballistic nuke sub - he called it a boat often...

the other was on air craft carrier... it was a ship

)

Well I don't know who first mentioned being an ex-shipwright but it's in the title of Dave Speed's post on April 5th, 2009 - 6:48 AM.

I didn't post about it until the 8th.

A shipwright isn't just a navy lingo, it's a common term for a craftsman on boats, or ships. More often it would refer to a woodworker on wood boats in days of old but carried over when propulsion changed from sails and hulls were made of other materials that float, like steel. Whether a hug was steaming up planking, fitting a diesel powerplant or hanging a rudder he's a shipwright.

'Blue Water' refers to ocean's deep, crossing the globe, so larger ships, that's what I worked on. I worked on the last blue water wood boat made on the north Pacific Coast. History turned a page.

So Then..... Hoss Cartwright....

Fixed carts? . Help me out here....
John

Re: So Then..... Hoss Cartwright....

I think you're starting to get it, John Like Louden Wainright III, ya, you know....

Re: So Then..... Hoss Cartwright....

And a wheelwright builds wheels.
And a chartwright makes maps.
And a Californiawgight,,,,,,well you figure out thyat one. I just like these smilies

Jimmie -

Neat! We're going up to Puget Sound this summer for a holiday. Anything good to see boat-wise u8p there?

Do you know of the Wapama? in SF bay? The last of the doghole schooners.

Dodge content: I once helped a friend put a Dodge flathead 6 in his wooden salmon boat in Northern California.

Re: Shipwright's Disease - Dave

Cool! The Mystic Museum used to be up there, probably still is. Dedicated to wood boats. An internet search of destination with 'wood boats' added can turn up lots of stuff.

When I got out of all that I gave away a treasure trove of marvelous books, design plans, blueprints etc. for hundreds of old wood boats. Wish I'd kept some now...

Another world, another time but I still love those fabulous old designs and the sound of a wood boat's hull as it talks to you on the water. Add the melody of wind in the rigging and the chorus of waves turned by the sea and...WOW!

Re: Restoring Hardware - Finishes

I love how these topics morph from the original to something entirely different, like going from plating to nautical terms. Keeps the forum interesting. Let me add mine, then. In 1959, immediately after graduation I had three months before going to Air Force basic. I got a job at a local shipyard in Savannah, Ga. working on building barges, dredges, and tug boats. I was a shipfitter's helper. I could weld so we would assemble various parts of the vessel and I would tack them in place, then a certified welder had to do the final welds. When I got back from active duty I got a job at a local paper mill as a boilermaker's helper, but I'm rambling so I will shut up. I will say that both jobs provided me some valuable life lessons.

Re: Restoring Hardware - Finishes [Shipfitters...]

[SHIPFITTERS]
Russ,
That word takes me way back to a song verse my
mom would sing from time to time......

"Oh.... your red scarf matches your eyes....
You close the cover before striking....
Your father has the Shipfitter's blues....
and loving you has made me bananas...."

Anyone know who wrote or sung that?.....

Dodge Content: I've seen the results of Eastwood's
Zinc Plating Kit.... real nice finish. For any
exposed bolt heads, etc. in the vehicle's interior,
you could dab a bit of boiled linseed oil on them.
They'll stay "natural" but shiney. Folks who collect
old hand tools use this method.
John

Sorry Navy guys, Im going back on topic!

Ive used the eastwood zinc plate kit, great results for the money. You really feel good after its all done, seeing the results. Easy to do also. Make sure and get every bit of rust off the part though. When detailing carbs, I used the kit to replate linkage and it looked like new. I like using a cabnet sand blaster that I designate just for polishing and cleaning for small parts. I use glass bead in it. When I was rebuilding my govenor in my Farmall A some of the springs were rusty but still very usable. I sandblasted them with the glass bead, cleaned them up like new inside the spring as well. A wire wheel brush couldnt do that.

Fish

68 fish
Sorry Navy guys, Im going back on topic!

Ive used the eastwood zinc plate kit, great results for the money. You really feel good after its all done, seeing the results. Easy to do also. Make sure and get every bit of rust off the part though. When detailing carbs, I used the kit to replate linkage and it looked like new. I like using a cabnet sand blaster that I designate just for polishing and cleaning for small parts. I use glass bead in it. When I was rebuilding my govenor in my Farmall A some of the springs were rusty but still very usable. I sandblasted them with the glass bead, cleaned them up like new inside the spring as well. A wire wheel brush couldnt do that.

Fish

When using wire wheel on springs, it generally leaves little metal strands inside the springs (at least on my cheap wire wheels it did. If they are a light spring, you can bend it open while sandblasting. I never did try the zinc plating kit.... maybe next project whatever it may be.

Jim

Hobcobble
[SHIPFITTERS]
Russ,
That word takes me way back to a song verse my
mom would sing from time to time......

"Oh.... your red scarf matches your eyes....
You close the cover before striking....
Your father has the Shipfitter's blues....
and loving you has made me bananas...."

Anyone know who wrote or sung that?.....

LOVING YOU HAS MADE ME BANANAS
(Words and Music by Guy Marks)

OH, YOUR RED SCARF MATCHES YOUR EYES,
YOU CLOSED YOUR COVER BEFORE STRIKING,
FATHER HAD THE SHIPFITTER BLUES,
LOVING YOU HAS MADE ME BANANAS,

OH, YOUR RED SCARF MATCHES YOUR EYES,
YOU CLOSED YOUR COVER BEFORE STRIKING,
FATHER HAD THE SHIPFITTER BLUES,
LOVING YOU HAS MADE ME BANANAS,

OH, YOU BURNT YOUR FINGER THAT EVENING,
WHILE MY BACK WAS TURNED,