Return to Website

Ask Faith

Artist, author and activist Faith Ringgold will answer questions about art-making and the business of art. Take a look at what everyone is talking about, add to the conversation or add something new by clicking on "POST". Please diregard the advertizments we do not condone or endorse any of it.

Ask Faith
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Children in Poverty

Dear Faith:
Hello and Happy New Year to you~
I teach Art to children from age 5-15 at DUE Season Charter School in Camden, NJ. This is the first year that Art has been offered at the school.
I encourage the students to express their inner artist with open ended assignments that are pertinent and meaningful to them. I believe children are natural artists. I like them to learn about contemporary modern art as well as art history. We will be begining a school wide quilt project. I graduated from Moore and have been teaching art for years now. We have very little supplies. We have no Art room, rather, I go into their classrooms and offer them the chance to learn the fundementals of color theory, design and the creative process. I will be showing them some of your works and I'd love to share their artwork with you.

If you find yourself travelling to the Philadelphia area and have time in your calendar, we'd love to have you visit. Since we are a charter school in a high poverty area we can not even begin to cover your daily fee, but I will personally cook a lovely organic lunch for you and your people and perhaps we could invite some of our students to join us~

We are located at Virtua Hospital, which has security and a police substation on site, so parking is very safe.

Feel free to contact me at artteacher1@aol.com. Again, my very best to you for the new year~

Pamela Brown (856) 225 0511 x344

Are you an educator? yes, Camden NJ, K-8