Return to Website

Ask Faith

Artist, author and activist Faith Ringgold will answer questions about art-making and the business of art. Take a look at what everyone is talking about, add to the conversation or add something new by clicking on "POST". Please diregard the advertizments we do not condone or endorse any of it.

Ask Faith
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exploration of a Contemporary African American Artist

Hello Ms. Ringgold:

My name is Sheila Phipps and I originally come from Africa. I have lived in the United States for the past 9 years and recently started going to school at Guilford College. One of the courses I am taking this Fall Semester is: African American Art. The final paper requires that we write about an artist chosen by the student. I decided to choose you because I am intrigued by your quilting skills.

I have been reading about you and we studied your work in class and I must say I am very impressed and have given myself a pat on the back for choosing an artist with so much talent. The other reason for this missive is to ask you if there are any pointers or insigts you can give me in regards to how you were affected by:

1. The African Diaspora
2. The Reclamation
3. The Resistance to racism
4. Negative Representations.

I hope this is not too much, but if there is any information you can give me or if you could kindly grant me an interview, I will be very happy. I hope I can be able to put this all together by November 12th, 2008.

Respectfully and thank you,

Sheila

Are you an educator? No