Return to Website

Ask Faith

Artist, author and activist Faith Ringgold will answer questions about art-making and the business of art. Take a look at what everyone is talking about, add to the conversation or add something new by clicking on "POST". Please diregard the advertizments we do not condone or endorse any of it.

Ask Faith
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
questions about paintings and life

Dear Ms. Ringgold,
I am a 3rd grade student at Imaculate Conception Academy in Douglassville, PA, and I am writing because I think it would be interesting to know a little more about the life of a famous artist.
In art class in my school my teacher puts paintings by famous artists on the walls and one of them is by you - Tar Beach. I learned a lot about just that one painting, how it was sent to the Louvre in Paris, how some people asked you to write a story about it, and more. I like the painting Tar Beach. Even though I do not live in the city, the painting reminds me of my family, and how we like to eat outside. It gives me a very warm feeling. I also liked the unique idea of putting a quilt border around the painting. But yet I still have more questions: where did you get the idea of painting a picture like Tar Beach?
Where were you born and where do you live now? What inspired you to be an artist?
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.
from,
Katie esterly

Are you an educator? no, I am a third grade student

Re: questions about paintings and life

I am the same girl who wrote the whole of "questions of paitings and life." Summer separates grades and years separate ages. Now I break out of my shell over the summer and push away my third grade past. Smarter and more intelegent, I take on fourth grade challenges in a new school. East Coventry (my new school) was frightening two months ago, but now it seems like I've been there forever. Karlie, Sam, and Syreena are my fast friends, guiding me and being my living ask.com. I am just waiting, waiting, for a reply from Faith Ringgold.(I e-mailed her March

Are you an educator? 4th grade student