Return to Website

Ask Faith

Artist, author and activist Faith Ringgold will answer questions about art-making and the business of art. Take a look at what everyone is talking about, add to the conversation or add something new by clicking on "POST". Please diregard the advertizments we do not condone or endorse any of it.

Ask Faith
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
the relevance of art.

For an opportunity to correspond: Mrs. Ringgold, I am a graduate arts journalism student at Syracuse University, and will accept your time in any fashion. You are the subject of an article of mine that will appear in the Post-Standard, Syracuse's largest newspaprer, and upon immersing myself in you and your work, I am missing your voice. Please. These are my thoughts. . .

As time continues to wait for no one, I often question my own art, my poems, and whether they are too much of today.

Does art ever lose its relevance? Does it ever get too old?

Your work is amazing. I am becoming a student of your quilts. The thought of them makes me smile. You show and tell of history, of struggle, as well as of life and dreams. What of mental slavery? Our children are in a whole new world. Upon your quilts are the stories of a whole people, how do you hope that the showing of these, along with your other works, will affect the eyes of children (and by children, I mean all of us, from grade school to post-graduate)?