Return to Website

Ask Faith

Artist, author and activist Faith Ringgold will answer questions about art-making and the business of art. Take a look at what everyone is talking about, add to the conversation or add something new by clicking on "POST". Please diregard the advertizments we do not condone or endorse any of it.

Ask Faith
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHAT IS ART?

Re: WHAT IS ART?

...An age old question that has lost its edge? How many people think about what art is and why people make it? If you have an idea about it lets share some thoughts on this subject.

Of course when I say What is art? I also mean to say what is not art? The answer is personal and leans heavily toward the kind of art you make if you are an artist, or the kind you like, or would like to make if you are not.

Art is a way to communicate and express yourself. An artist combines imagination, problem solving and skill to creat art.

Art is a many splendid thing. It is fun, beautiful, dark, politcal, confusing, inspiring, long lasting, expensive, etherial and much more. -Grace

Re: WHAT IS ART? (for young children)

Art is a process, not a product...it is exploration, discovery, and experimentation. There is no right way and no wrong way for kids to "do" art, just their own way. And maybe this really what art is for everyone.

Re: WHAT IS NOT ART?

For young chidlren, art is NOT copying what an adult has made, trying to approximate the adult's work. No no no not ever. When working with kids, do not show them samples of what to make.

I say art is everything that we are and are not, inside and outside of ourselves. It is the expression, interpretation, and representation of our thoughts, feelings, and imagination.
-- Shanene

Are you an educator? No

For me, the best art (graphic arts, music, dance, etc...) is something that helps me to see or experience the world in a new way. It leads me upwards to better understanding of spiritual things, other people, beauty...
It is the importance of self-expression balanced with the need to communicate the essence of my thoughts and feeling to others so that they can share my experience and insights. The beauty any art is not so much in the skill but in it's ability to create a shared moment - communication.

Are you an educator? no

I realize that I can develop an entire curriculum based on that question, and in fact, have started one.
Actually, my question is "What inspires artists?" Meaning, why do people make things or do things? It gets pretty philosophical and broad, yet can also be specific. I make good food because I like to eat. Food is art. I paint my wall because I like to look at it. I photograph because I want to remember things. The possibilities are endless.
I find it fascinating that throughout time, people have made things. Sometimes out of necessity, sometimes because they had leisure time. It makes me believe that "art" is a word for expression.
I want to find a way to use art as a learning tool. I want to prove that it is. I want to strengthen it and promote it in schools so that it continues to be validated as a subject and not squashed as irrelevant.
My main interest is teaching English through art to ESL students. How do I do that?
Thanks.

Are you an educator? yes

I look at art as a gift, and something that sometimes can be valued greatly. Anyone can do art, anything can be art. Sometimes, it can do so many things to peoples lifes. Fame, more. Art can tell stories, going back hundreds and hundreds of years ago. That is art.

Are you an educator? no, I am a third grade student

Art is creating things they way you want them to be, creating lives, feelings, maybe even just pretty things to look at. I love art because there are so many way you can do it. Sculptures, pointillism, still life, abstract portraits, even just splattering paint on a piece of paper. The thing that I love about art is that if you try and copy someone's piece, it always turns out different. Each piece of art is unique and different and beautiful in their own way, like people .

Are you an educator? no

How do you draw tar beach

Are you an educator? no

Art is an extension of one expression, or message, through the creation of something that can be shared and left up to the individual (the veiwer) for their own interpretation.

Are you an educator? No, student.

art is many things, but i like this definition: it is the act of making our environment special.

for me, art also functions as a process through which i understand and record my environment. and not just the physical world, but also my mental map of reality, shaped by memories and dreams, both good and bad.

Are you an educator? no

Art is life,love, happiness, sadness, beauty and a story, that can be created from dance, painting, writing and song.

Are you an educator? No

Art is a means and expression of communicating with oneself and the world. Art is a pathway leading to a door that opens both ways. Art for women is our voice, the very essence of our beings poured out in both familiar and unfamiliar ways. We sing, we dance, we cry, we develop, we both tear down and build up. Art transcends through any obstacle and find its being. Art is breath to me. Thank you Faith Ringgold. I'm writing a paper about you for my Survey of Women Artist class. It started out as a paper, now it's so much more. I feel you!!!

Art is my blood... it flows deep, it pushes hard
in my belly. It screams, cries, and yells.
when I let it out from my eyes,skin,hands,mind, and mouth... I am well pleased.
Miss Ringgold your work is a blessing. I would like to meet you one day, and maybe I could show you my peace quilt. Ms. A.Lee of Hampton, VA

Are you an educator? use to be an artist and Daycare Educator, now disabled

art is own type of creation that can inspire you.
no matter what people say its your creation and no can understand it better than you

Are you an educator? STUDENT

A formal answer is that art is the expression in a perceptual mode of the imaginings, beliefs, hopes, or feelings, or any combination of these, of an individ- ual. A more appropriate reply (in my opinion) is that
art is the expression of some aspect of the human spirit. Anti-art---again, my personal feelings---is the mere reproduction of literal likeness---I have in mind Andy Warhol's Campbell Soup cans---which are devoid of any element of the artist her-/him-self, except, perhaps, an expression of contempt for the creative aspőect of the human personality.

Are you an educator? yes

This is all just my opinion I suppose. Maybe I'm talking about what I think is 'good' art and 'bad' art... No one ever asks me these questions, so I'm glad to participate.

I think art is best when it is searching for answers to questions, exploring, wondering- and when it makes us wonder, question and explore. Art gives a memorable, resonating experience for the viewer or listener.

I don't think one-liners, conceptual tricks, etc are really art... They are entertainment, but not 'art', you quickly forget about them. Also alot of so-called art ends up coming out as illustration, and it lays flat- illustrates an idea, but there is no more... Another problem is 'art' that is over-thought... there's no magic and mystery in the making of it. The artist has an idea and slavishly brings the work into form... but it's stiff and boring. That is also not art... it's illustrating an 'art idea'.

Art tickles your brain in places that mainstream pop culture can't reach...

Are you an educator? yes (but not of art)

Whoever said that art isn't about a product was wrong. I make art, enjoy the process, and enjoy the end product as well.
The fact that anyone posted to this just shows how far we are from understanding art these days.

Art should be intentional.
Art should embrace the accidental.
Art should tell a story, share an emotion.
Art should create a story, or create an emotion.

Art allows total personal expression and that can be a powerful thing if we let it. (but it doesn't have to.)

The only rule about art is that you can never stop making it.

Are you an educator? yes

Just saying that for CHILDREN (up until about grade two) art is more about what they are doing than the exact outcome of it. Adults, product takes on more meaning. Older kids want more meaning too. Ages are not specific.

Are you an educator? yes