Return to Website

Ask Faith

Artist, author and activist Faith Ringgold will answer questions about art-making and the business of art. Take a look at what everyone is talking about, add to the conversation or add something new by clicking on "POST". Please diregard the advertizments we do not condone or endorse any of it.

Ask Faith
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
the artist's input

Dear Ms. Ringgold,

I am a senior Art History major at Santa Clara University. I'm currently enrolled in an African American art class, and I've become highly interested in your work. I've chosen to look at the intersection of race and gender for my final term paper, and of course, you came to mind. Issues I'll be exploring include, but are not limited to:
-Art vs. Craft... Do you think this has to do with gender? What is "craft" and why is it labeled "women's" art? Is there a direct divide between art and craft, and if so, where is it? Does it still exist? What does this mean for disciplines like ceramics and quilting? What does it mean for contemporary and modern art? How do you consider your non-painted works, like your quilts and your thangkas? Does your creation of quilts, thangkas, and illustrations for childrens' books intentionally address this issue?
-The black female nude: How about the nude in art? What about the black nude is different from the white nude? What does this mean for women of all ethnicities? What does this mean for women artists? Why do you incorporate black female nudes in your Slave Rape series? Can you tell me about this series?

I know I have a lot of questions/issues. Any input you have would be helpful. I truly admire your work and your message and find it incredibly inspiring. Thank you for the light you have shed on these issues.

Best,
Lucy

Are you an educator? student