Table Tennis Talk

Table Tennis Talk

Table Tennis Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: China

Hi still in China. the name of the women who have been training with us is Niu Jian Feng, she is ranked No.2. and Bia Yang (No. 27)

training is very hard but excellent and all the coaches, at least 5 of them are very helpful even if they don't speak English. Actions speak loader than words.

It is 7.30am and I was only able to pop out for a minute as training starts at 8.30am.

Will write more latrer today as I have the afternoon off to go shopping.
Owen

Re: Re: China

Back again after a hard mornings training. They have me twiddling with my pimples and it is hard work but I'm just about getting it. I had the afternoon off to go shopping and Liu Hao Yu and Lu have been showing me tround the shops and have helped alot. they are two girls who train and stay at the club. Lu tells me it takes here 30 hours to get home by train but it only takes Liu 16hrs. It is hard to imagine a country that big. I had a look round the Baoding governers house which was a peaceful change from the hustle and bustle of Baoding City. The city is the capital of He bei. I will be off to Beijing for the weekend and expect to see the forbidden palalce and the Great Wall.
The food is unusual but i am begining to get a taste for it, I had rabbit for lunch I hope. there are a number of KFC's and I've seen at least 2 McDonalds but have not been tempted as yet.

apart from the heat and having to change my shirt at least 4 times a day when training as well as consuming at least 2 litres of water each session I am enjoying the experience and would reccomend a visit to the club/school for anyone who who has the stamina.

well that's enough for now. i have tried buying postcards but I don't think they have them in china! Even with the help of the girls I have only managed to buy stamps and little else.

zaijian

Re: Re: Re: China

Hi, its Monday and it just keeps getting hotter, 35-38 degrees and rising! Had a great weekend went to Beijing and to the Great Wall. both places are definately worth a visit, would have prefered it too not have been so hot! Managed to go shopping at the Silk Street Tourist Market. I was very glad of some help as the prices are negotiable. My guide and friend managed to bring some stuff from 250 (25Euro) down to 80 (8Euro) and from 150 to 20. The shop people kept hitting him as he was getting them to drop it further and further. They staert with a price and then say how much will you pay! Not my style I'm afraid and the constant "you buy!" and come in to my shop" when I just wanted to quietly have a look. Still I got some nice stuff even if you have to be a bit too dedicated for my liking.

I was very glad to get back into the training hall. The girls work so hard and after 2 hours hard technical training they start with some fitness stuff, I don't think we will see our players training like this and that's why they are no.1 and we are no.000000

Short pips seem very popular even for the penholders who all play with both sides. there are also a fair number of choppers, something I am always going on about in Ireland. Even though there are so many playing and they drill so hard, you don't see a group of robots, each has an individual style, in my opinion this is the sign of good coaching. I will be very sad to leave China, a country where the skill and prowess of table tennis is held in such high esteem. I have watch a bit of Chinese television and see quite a bit of table tennis featured along side many other sports. In fact even though the sports coverage is in Chinese I would definately watch it over RTE. Volleyball, F1, Basketball (NBC), soccer (Chinese and European and South American) as well as fencing, swimming, athletics ...........

That's all for now as I have to get back for afternoon training and after that we have a run and then swimming today

Re: Re: Re: Re: China

Hi still having a great time and working hard. Had a very special day today as I was given the chance to play Niu Jian Feng she was very gentle with me and the assembled crowd of girls from the club didn't laugh too much as the ball went flying, that's off my bat not hers!

I don't know whether my own game is improving, it could get worse but I am still learning a lot about the game and different techniques.

Yesterday I foolishly asked if I could play a few games, so I spen the whole afternoon being thrashed by each and everyone of the girls who I've been trainig with. However, shock horror, I managed to beat one of the girls in a 5 set thriller. I felt like doing a lap of honour and leaping in the air, but the poor girl looked so abashed I just had to keep it all inside. She will probably be drilled extra hard and I've probably lost any chance of making a new friend! Still she gave me heart and I haven't packed it in yet.

The physical work these girls put in everyday is gruelling but as it was pointed out to me the rewards are high and they all remain very well motivated.

Away from the table I have managed to fit in some extra curricular stuff including a visit to the tea shop, I've indulged my love of tabacco, something a lot of Chinese seem to share as well as continued to eat the uneatable, did mention the duck feet? Well add donkey to that. Poor Eeyore it wasn't only his tail he lost last night, yum yum. I also managed to torture a few friends I've made with a woeful version of Danny Boy! With or Without You as well as an overly enthusastic version of Blue Suede Shoes and Hound dog, no i haven't eat one of them yet and will only by accident. But last nights visit to the KTV Kareoki Bar will have to be added to the list of my more embarrising experiences. It was so bad that I think we are going again tommorrow, if they let me back through the door!

Well that's it an early night for me and I'' dream of that one big hit I put past the No.2 in the World every dog has his day, well maybe not a day but one moment was enough for this table tennis fan.
Once again from behind the Wall
Owen
P.S. If anyone is reading this you can email me at owen@ttireland.com or leave a message on the bulletin board, I'd love to hear from back home

Re: China

are you obsessed with this website or something