Table Tennis Talk

Table Tennis Talk

Table Tennis Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Correction

I agree that a male must not be NPC of a female junior team if he is a sole ADULT travelling with a group of underage players

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I agree that a male must not be NPC of a female junior team if he is a sole NPC travelling with a group of underage players. Equally I would suggest that a sole male NPC in charge of a group of boys should be subject to the same child protection regulations.

This is not a gender issue, it is a matter of providing protection for both the adult and the child by ensuring that children and adults are never alone in each others company. If you confine male NPC's to male teams you will find that within clubs males will coach males and females will coach females.

What next?

Table Tennis Clubs split into two with an all male section of players and coaches in one club and all female players and coaches in the other.

Should we travel seperately?

Should we have separate tournaments?

I think not unless you want to go back to the 1950's

Maybe it's time people studied the code of ethics and good practice in sport for children!

Replying to:

Whilst I agree with most of what Owen has to say I do think there is an issue (if we are talking about junior girls etc teams) of child protection and issues that relate to females only. It would seem to me that if you had a male NPC as captin of the team a female chaperone would be needed and then is this a good use of resources, if one person could fulfill both objectives?

Re: Re: Correction

To expound,

I agree that a male or female must not be NPC of a female or male junior team if he/she is a sole ADULT travelling with a group of underage players.

A sole adult can travel with a team.

A sole adult can not be alone with a child

A sole adult can not stay overnight with a group of children of either gender.

If this is so then there is no cost issue as two adults have to travel overnight anyway.

I think either a female coach or chaperone of either gender would cover these reccomendations.

I still feel that we should be selecting on ability and experience and not excluding anyone because of their gender!

Replying to:

I agree that a male must not be NPC of a female junior team if he is a sole ADULT travelling with a group of underage players

Replying to:

I agree that a male must not be NPC of a female junior team if he is a sole NPC travelling with a group of underage players. Equally I would suggest that a sole male NPC in charge of a group of boys should be subject to the same child protection regulations.

This is not a gender issue, it is a matter of providing protection for both the adult and the child by ensuring that children and adults are never alone in each others company. If you confine male NPC's to male teams you will find that within clubs males will coach males and females will coach females.

What next?

Table Tennis Clubs split into two with an all male section of players and coaches in one club and all female players and coaches in the other.

Should we travel seperately?

Should we have separate tournaments?

I think not unless you want to go back to the 1950's

Maybe it's time people studied the code of ethics and good practice in sport for children!

Replying to:

Whilst I agree with most of what Owen has to say I do think there is an issue (if we are talking about junior girls etc teams) of child protection and issues that relate to females only. It would seem to me that if you had a male NPC as captin of the team a female chaperone would be needed and then is this a good use of resources, if one person could fulfill both objectives?