Table Tennis Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Women Captains

Why do I ask?

In a letter to the Munster Branch it was stated that:

“The Management Committee in conjunction with our National Coach, Colum Slevin appointed the NPC's for this season and only appointed two under age NPC's and he is in the process of looking for suitable qualified lady coaches to take up the other positions.”

I am a member of this Management Committee and I personally believe that we should not be restricting ourselves to only “ladies.” Apparently I am in the minority on this issue and I asked the question to see if I am the only one that feels that a man can do the job as well as a women could. Has this been brought in by our National Coach Colum Slevin?

My opinion, seem to be shared by the ISTTA who selected a man as the Primary Girls NPC. I would agree with their selection and the Gold medal in the team event as well as the singles event, I believe shows that a man can do the job. In fact I have only heard of this restrictive policy this season as we have had a male NPC for the girls for some years.

I have been unable to change anyone’s mind on the matter so I turn to the opinion of those who might take the time to comment here on the website

Why just Irish teams?

As for it being directed at the Irish NPC job only, I am not aware that any of the provinces have restricted their choice of Girls NPCs to only women. In Munster our U14 Girls NPC is a man and we have had a number over the years. We also have two female NPCs, they are NPCs of girls’ teams but that does not indicate that they would not be qualified to captain boy’s teams.

I don’t like the idea that someone could only be selected according to their gender and that their experience and ability would not count towards their selection.

I say this as someone who has captained both Irish Schools girls and boys teams both hear and abroad as well as Coach and NPC of St.Angela’s College at the last three All Ireland Finals. I have travelled abroad with girls’ teams to Portugal, Slovakia, Belgium and the UK and always travel with an appropriate chaperone as the Code of Conduct recommends.

On a personal level, if we are not allowing the selection of a male NPCs for girls teams this rules me out completely and would prevent me from ever having an opportunity to represent Ireland at this level. As an active coach with goals and ambitions I would like to see this new restriction and policy reversed.