Return to Website

USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39

Welcome to our messageboard

USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My dad on the USS Quincy

I recently discovered that my dad, who died in 1998, was a survivor from the USS Quincy in the South Pacific that fateful 1942. He never talked much about his experiences there, other than his boat sank and he was stranded on some islands w/ nothing but coconuts to eat. Now I understand why he didn't talk about it. His name was Harold M. Quiat. He started as a 2nd LT & became a Captain in the Marines. Does anyone out there remember him? He was such a dear man, & I really miss him.

Re: My dad on the USS Quincy

My daddy was on the USS Quincey when is was sunk. He was a Marine, Arvle Raymond Brake from AL. All he ever said about it was, a man came up to him as he was ready to jump, the man had been wounded and could not see. Daddy told him to hold on to his arm and he would get him off the ship, but they lost the grip. Daddy never saw him again, so he never knew what happened to the guy. Daddy, could not swim, he floated on his back till he was rescued. I feel he knew your daddy but have no way of knowing for sure, daddy passed away 12-7-1992. I miss him so much,too.
Gail