Welcome to our messageboard

USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USS Quincy CA 39

Hi Catherine
My dad also survived the sinking. He just passed his 92nd birthday and his memory is starting to fail. He was known as either Fritz or Fred Cohen and he was a Chief Petty Officer in sick bay. If you or your dad or anyone else knows anything about him I would be obliged.

Hello,
This is Tom Cooper, I reported aboard the quincy 39 on July 7,1936 at Boston and was aboard through November 4,1941 at Portsmouth Maine, I was a Y1C. I have a list of all personnel that crossed the equator in 1939.
Of the above listed these are the only 3 aboard while I was aboard. I did not know them however.
J. L. Gardner MAtt1c
J. Frankel F3c
R. W. Weak Sea1c

I had asecond cousin who was killed on the uss quincy, I never met him since I was born in 1946, but I did meet his parents, his dad was my grandfather's brother and I being in the Navy reminded them of him when they saw me in uniform, his name was Joseph Campbell, I'm not sure of his rank, but I think he was Fire control technician, do you know him or remember him?

Mr Cooper,
R.W. Weak was my uncle Raymond Weak, Gunner's Mate 2c. He went down with the Quincy 39 so I never met him. Through my father (Ray's brother) I did end up with his "World's Fair Cruise" 1939 NY to Panama-Cuba and South America. Many pictures and notes of passing through Panama Canal 1/13/39, to Rio and later to Iceland (Aug. 1941) and even to Cape Town, So. Africa on 12/15/41. Of 50 or so autographs in the "Logalbum" I didn't see your name or the other two you mentioned. Please contact me if you would like more information. I was truly great to find someone that remembered Uncle Ray.
Sincerely,
David Weak

My grandfather Edward Chabot was a survivor of USS Quincy CA 39 on August 9 1942. He passed back in 1995, I wish I could remember some of the stories. I remember him talking about floating on trash for hour before he was found. He mentioned sharks in the waters...