Return to Website

USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39

Welcome to our messageboard

USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
USS Quincy CA39

My Dad, Daniel H. Galvin, Jr. is a survivor of the sinking of the USS Quincy CA39. He will be 87 next month, he has a vivid memory of 'that night'. please email me as it will be easier to get to your question. He remembers faces more that names if you can send me a pic that would be great.

catrinky03@yahoo.com

thanks
Catherine Galvin Doucette

Re: USS Quincy CA39

Hello Catherine, Thank you for being so generous regarding the USS Quincy.you responded to me in 2006,bless you.It seems to me that your dad is a great resource.why is it that I can not find A crew list.If there are no rosters how do they know who was where.If you know how to optain such A list please let me know. Respectfully yours, JIM

Re: Re: USS Quincy CA39

HI
I did some research and came up with a telephone number and address to search the USN archives for the 'muster roll' as it is called...Good Luck..I will also as my dad, Daniel Galvin, if he has a list...will take some time to locate as he has just moved and it is I am sure in a box
Catherine~~~~~~
***The Textual Reference Branch, National Archives, Washington, DC 20374 (202-501-5671) holds copies of the deck logs from 1801 through December 1940 , as well as microfilm copies of the muster rolls through 1938.
The Textual Reference Branch, National Archives and Records Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001 has custody of the deck logs from 1 January 1941 through 1961, as well as microfilm copies of the muster rolls from 1939 through 1966. In some cases in the 1950's and 1960's, a list of the officers is included with the muster rolls. The Textual Reference Branch at College Park also has custody of the Bureau of Naval Personnel Casualty Files, which have the official list of Navy casualties for each World War II action. By using the list of officers in the deck logs and the muster rolls, one can compile a list of the crew. Then by using the crew list and the list of Casualties the names of the survivors of a World War II ship or vessel can be created.****

Hello Catherine,
My uncle, Leonard Joslin, is a survivor. He's going to be celebrating his 91st birthday in a few months and he is still very active. His brother, Donald Joslin, reported on board the Quincy in 1938 and spent 2 1/2 years as an electrician. He is also alive and well. Leonard was a signalman and he is pictured on page 109 of the History of the USS Quincy by Grady S. Mesimer. He's the one holding the flags in the signalman picture. I was lucky to find a copy of this book on ebay for a very reasonable price. There is another one listed at this time but is priced at $249.00. Your Dad and my uncle were picked up by the same ship per this book. Kent

Hi Kent
Thanks for the information! I am printing out your email and I will forward it to my Dad, Daniel Galvin.
Daniel contributed to the USS Quincy book. It would be wonderful if your Uncles and Daniel could communicate with each other. Dad doesn't have a computer yet but he could telephone. Let me know ok?
Thanks
Catherine

Re: Re: Re: USS Quincy CA39

My grandfather Tom Cooper is still around, he is 91. He was on the ship from it's first run until nov. of 41 when he got out of the navy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: USS Quincy CA39

HI Jim
Just wanted to let you know I saw your email...My Dad, Daniel Galvin may know of him. I will talk to him.. Catherine

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: USS Quincy CA39

hi, just wanted to ask you if you known my uncle francies Suggitt? i wasnt born yet when he was kidded on the quency 39 i have been digging up info did you know him? i have a postcard he wrote to my dad it was a month before he was comming home, Doris

HI, FIRST OF ALL I AM SORRY FOR UR DAD TO GO THROUGH ALL THAT WAR STUFF, MY DADS BROTHER FRANCIES SUGGITT WAS ON THAT SHIP QUENCY 39 HE SUNK I DIDNT KNOW HIM BUT I BEEN RESERCHING ON THIS SHIP FOR A WHILE, WOULD UR DAD KNOWN HIM? I HAVE A POSTCARD OF THE SHIP FRANCIES SENT TO DAD, SAID HE WAS COMMING HOME IN ONE MONTH DORIS BRADLEY

Hi Doris

I will ask my father Daniel if he remembers him. Being 88 now it is easier if he sees a picture, or if you can find out his rank and job on the ship. I am sorry for your families loss! Catherine my email is catrinky03@yahoo.com

4 Re: USS Quincy CA39

Does anyone know them? My dad and uncle made it off the ship. My dad and uncle both came up in the water together. Sincerely, Doug Albright

My wife's grandfather was the ships doctor. His name was Commander A. L. Morrison. He survived the sinking. I would like any information anyone has about the crew list.