USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39

Welcome to our messageboard

USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USS Quincy CA 39

HI CATHERINE, MY NAME IS LESLEE GARNER.MY FATHER WAS ALSO ON THE QUINCY THE NIGHT IT SANK. HIS NAME WAS ANDREW(JIM)GARNER. HE WAS A BOATSWAIN'S MATE.TWO OF HIS BEST FRIENDS WERE KILLED THAT EVENING(JIM AYLOR AND JACK CARRON).SOMEONE TOLD HIM THAT THEY SAW JACK CARRON IN THE WATER,BUT HE WAS NEVER FOUND.I'AM HAPPY THAT YOUR FATHER IS DOING WELL AT 85.I'LL BET HE HAS MANY STORIES ABOUT THAT NIGHT.THEY WERE ALL JUST BOYS, AND I KNOW THEY MUST HAVE BEEN SCARED TO DEATH.MY FATHER DIED IN 1970,OF A HEART ATTACK.I TRULY BELIEVE THAT THIER'S WAS "THE GREATEST GENERATION".IF YOU HAVE'T READ "THE BATTLE OF SALVO ISLAND" YOU SHOULD.IT TELLS IT LIKE IT WAS.WELL I'VE TAKEN TOO MUCH OF YOUR TIME.LIKE YOUR DAD, I THINK THOSE WHO FOUGHT IN WW11 SHOULD ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED.THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME,LESLEE GARNER

Re: Re: USS Quincy CA 39

Hi Leslee,
I am so sorry to hear of your Dad, Jim's passing. It must still be difficult for you.
My Dad, Daniel, turns 86 this thursday, March 8th, 2007. I've been connecting with some of Daniel's shipmates and/or family members. It is so helpful if you have a picture of your Dad. The names escape him, he says "I never would have rememberd everyones name anyway", but he does remember when he sees pictures of them.
Please feel free to go to the following web site: WWII Naval Memorial:

http://www.lonesailor.org/log.php?search=yes&num=25&page=1&lastname=Galvin&firstname=Daniel

When you go there click on: Galvin/Daniel/Hallissey/Jr
Under the picture click on: My Service Memories

This will give you an insight to "That" night.

If I can help any other way..please email me

Catherine (Galvin) Doucette

My uncle, Raymond W. Weak went down with the Quincy on August 9, 1942. He was a Gunner's Mate Second Class and was on the Quincy from at least January 13, 1939, first entry in his log/album, passing the Panama Canal that day. His brother (my Father) ended up with his log. It is very interesting, mostly of a South American cruise in 1939, Bermuda, Iceland, Trinadad, and finally Cape Town South Africa December 15, 1941. I wish I had known my Uncle Ray, my Dad spoke very fondly of him... He must have been in his early 20's when the Quincy sank. I am very proud of my Fathers generation... of six children (4 boys; 2 girls) five of them served in WWII, including my Father (Army Air Corps). My Father and Aunt are still living - both now in their 90's. I appreciate any information anyone might have of Raymond Weak.
Respectfully,
David Weak

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My Dad Daniel H. Galvin Jr, is a survivor of the sinking of the USS Quincy CA 39 on August 9 1942. He remembers every shipmate on Veterans Day, by reciting every shipmates name lost on Aug 9th.
Please contact me if you know or are in contact with other survivors. He has a great memory and now he is willing to share.
With respect
Catherine Doucette

My uncle, Benjamin Franklin Randall (Montevallo, Alabama) survived the sinking of the Quincy. He was blown off the ship and had to wear a brace on his leg for the rest of his life. He passed in 1985. I do not know what his position was or rank. I do have a U.S.S. Quincy leatherbound personal ship log he gave my mother on his last home leave before they sailed from NY. It has postcards from NY, New Zealand and Australia and also pics of him. It is interesting to note he sent all the postcards when they sailed from NZ heading to Guadalcanal. Thanks, Neal

My uncle, Julius Frankel, also went down with the Quincy on August 9, 1942 in the Battle of Savo Island. It was only recently that I discovered this, as over the years we had thought he died in the Battle of the Coral Sea. I am trying to learn as much as I can about my uncle's military service. I would like to know if there are any survivors that might remember him. He was a Machinist Mate, First Class. I don't know when he began his service on the Quincy.

Thanks.

Don Gilbert
Sacramento, CA

Hello Catherine,

I'm researching a relative who was lost with the Quincy in 1942. His name was Harold Struble.If your father has any memories of Harold or any photos of the crew that could be copied, please let me know. Hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks,

Ron Moen

Hi
My Dad's memories are in the Lone Sailor. Under his name Daniel Hallissey Galvin Jr. He has very vivd memeories of 'that night'. God Bless him he will be 87 and he would love to share any information he can. He doesn't remember names as much as faces, if you have a picture that would help
Thanks and God Bless
Catherine Galvin Doucette

Re: Re: Re: USS Quincy CA 39

homesecuresite.com/security/xp
we are criminals

sefina@ guerrero.gob.mx
www.prefecture-police-paris.interieur.gouv.fr/
narcos kamikzaes from israel acapulco like
israel violence bombs
granades streets
no water potable
http://www.prefecture-police-paris.interieur.gouv.fr/contact.htm
Préfecture de Police
Service de la Communication
9, boulevard du Palais
75 195 PARIS CEDEX 04
www.gov.il/firstgov/english

Re: Re: Re: USS Quincy CA 39

www.mossad.gov.il
http://www.nsa.gov/KIDS/
http://www.nsa.gov/CAREERS/
narco criminals sedena.gob.mx

hi my uncle Francies A Sugitt was on CA-39 i only have a post card of the ship and he wrote on the back of it he was comming home in a year, he wrote that to my father would ur dad have any photos or any thing on Francies Suggitt? ive never meet him only photos i have.. thanks doris

Hi Doris,
I will be seeing him next week and I am trying to print out all the names to show him..it helps to have a rank or division, because the QuincyCA39 was pretty big. I have your email address and will forward you an email soon..

Hi Catherine
My dad also survived the sinking. He just passed his 92nd birthday and his memory is starting to fail. He was known as either Fritz or Fred Cohen and he was a Chief Petty Officer in sick bay. If you or your dad or anyone else knows anything about him I would be obliged.

Hello,
This is Tom Cooper, I reported aboard the quincy 39 on July 7,1936 at Boston and was aboard through November 4,1941 at Portsmouth Maine, I was a Y1C. I have a list of all personnel that crossed the equator in 1939.
Of the above listed these are the only 3 aboard while I was aboard. I did not know them however.
J. L. Gardner MAtt1c
J. Frankel F3c
R. W. Weak Sea1c

I had asecond cousin who was killed on the uss quincy, I never met him since I was born in 1946, but I did meet his parents, his dad was my grandfather's brother and I being in the Navy reminded them of him when they saw me in uniform, his name was Joseph Campbell, I'm not sure of his rank, but I think he was Fire control technician, do you know him or remember him?

Mr Cooper,
R.W. Weak was my uncle Raymond Weak, Gunner's Mate 2c. He went down with the Quincy 39 so I never met him. Through my father (Ray's brother) I did end up with his "World's Fair Cruise" 1939 NY to Panama-Cuba and South America. Many pictures and notes of passing through Panama Canal 1/13/39, to Rio and later to Iceland (Aug. 1941) and even to Cape Town, So. Africa on 12/15/41. Of 50 or so autographs in the "Logalbum" I didn't see your name or the other two you mentioned. Please contact me if you would like more information. I was truly great to find someone that remembered Uncle Ray.
Sincerely,
David Weak

My grandfather Edward Chabot was a survivor of USS Quincy CA 39 on August 9 1942. He passed back in 1995, I wish I could remember some of the stories. I remember him talking about floating on trash for hour before he was found. He mentioned sharks in the waters...