USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39

Welcome to our messageboard

USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CA-39 2005 Reunion & Contact, Crew information

see below, from an email I received today 12/16/2004:

I have an official list of all Shipmates who perished and survived.

Thanks for getting in touch. We will have a reunion in Las Vegas in May of 2005. The details have not been worked out yet.

Yes, I am a survivor from E Division as an Electrician Mate 3rd Class. I am the present Chairman & Secretary of the Association. I'm glad you to hear from you because I have no information on your Uncle. Please send me his mailing address and if possible his rank and the division and when he went aboard the USS Quincy CA39.

Just an old CA39er, Zeke

A.H."Zeke" Stires

4446 Atwood Cay Circle

Sarasota, Fl. 34233-1660

941-377-4464

Re: CA-39 2005 Reunion & Contact, Crew information

My grandfather Holley Morgan Black began his tour aboard USS Quincy December 1943. I would like some info on his tour of duty and his shipmates

My uncle, Carless Cherious Baird, nicknamed "Kelly", was killed on CA39 at the Battle of Savo Island.
If anyone has any info concerning him, please email me.
He died 10 years before I was born.I would like to know about him.

Kelly Cathy Baird

My Dad Daniel H. Galvin Jr, survived the sinking of the USS Quincy CA39...he is 85 soon to be 86 in March.
I would very much like to have contact with some of his shipmates, family etc.
Every Veterans Day he goes out on his front steps of his home and announces every name of the shipmates that perished and he pays homage!
thank you
with Respect
Catherine (Galvin) Doucette

I just happened upon this web site. My Grandfather, Lloyd Roy Buffington was on the Quincy when it sank. he was a Machinist First Mate. He perished on the ship that fateful day. He was a career Navy man and was (I believe) in his late 30's or early 40's when the ship sank. As he passed before I was born, I would like to find any information on him or the crewmen. I have heard stories from my father but no real solid information.
I would appreciate hearing any info out there.
Nancy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

see below, from an email I received today 12/16/2004:

I have an official list of all Shipmates who perished and survived.

Thanks for getting in touch. We will have a reunion in Las Vegas in May of 2005. The details have not been worked out yet.

Yes, I am a survivor from E Division as an Electrician Mate 3rd Class. I am the present Chairman & Secretary of the Association. I'm glad you to hear from you because I have no information on your Uncle. Please send me his mailing address and if possible his rank and the division and when he went aboard the USS Quincy CA39.

Just an old CA39er, Zeke

A.H."Zeke" Stires

4446 Atwood Cay Circle

Sarasota, Fl. 34233-1660

941-377-4464

Could you be so kind as to e-mail me a copy of your list please.My dad was a sight setter on a 5 inch deck gun, his name was Robert Edward Robertson from North Carolina. He passed away in the early 80's .thank you