Return to Website

USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39

Welcome to our messageboard

USS Quincy CA-71 & CA-39
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Quincy memorabilia

My name is Sarah Gorman, and I am married to the grandson of John Howard Gorman, who served on the USS Quincy in "H" Division as a Pharmacist's Mate Third Class. I have been gathering all his photographs, papers, and other memorabilia from his years spent serving during WWII, and I would love to share them with anyone interested. These materials include newspaper clippings, copies of The Sea Wolf, Navy Day program, and various on-board holiday menus. In addition, I know it's a long shot, but I would love to connect with anyone who knew John Howard while serving on the Quincy. I look forward to any responses. Thanks to those who put together this website, as it has been very informative and helpful to me. Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day!

Re: Quincy memorabilia

My Father was on the quincy when it sank.
I would love to see your pictures, I have no pictures of him on the ship

Thank You,
Leslee

I should have been more specific. Pappaw served on the CA-71 from 1944 to 1946, not the CA-39 which sunk. I'm so sorry! I'll still be sharing those pictures soon; hopefully you will enjoy them.

Thank You!

Hi Sarah, It's so nice of you to compile memorabilia and share it. My dad just passed away on September 19 at the age of 91. His name is Ralph J. Smith. He served on the Quincy CA-71 from its commissioning until the end of the war. He rose to the rank of Chief Petty Officer, CY Division.
The Quincy and its historic travels were a galvanizing effect on my dad. He experienced so much history at such a young age.

I'd love to see what memorabilia you've assembled.

Thank you.

Paul G. Smith

Paul,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure he told you many stories about his experiences on the Quincy.

I'm a middle school teacher, and once school started in August I put away all the photographs and memorabilia and focused on my work. Hopefully sometime soon I'll have some free time to scan and share the items with you. I have a fair share of interesting items.

Did your dad have anything from his time on the ship? Maybe we can swap pictures of items.

My email is sarah.gorman@pulaskiacademy.org... Please feel free to contact me through email so we can stay in contact better.

Sincerely,
Sarah