PATTNI CONNECTION FORUM
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shraadh

Dear Kanchan

Thank you for your comments.

My article was based on the various religious books and the information collected during my visit to the pilgrimage destinations of Hindu religion - Haridwar and Rishikesh. Many do Shraadh according to their family traditions and have been following for generations.

You are right that the first shraadh is traditionally done on the exact tithi – but that is the tithi according to the Hindu calendar. Since many do not follow or understand the Hindu calendar, they would find it difficult to know the exact tithi every year.

One member told me that his father passed away on a ‘satam’ of the month. Since they find it difficult to remember the titihi by the Hindu calendar every year, they do Shraadh on every ‘satam’ of Bhadarvo – the month of Shraadh. There is also a common belief that ‘Nom’ – 9 of the Shraadh Bhadarvo is good for late mothers or women and ‘Chaudas’ – 14 is for children who have died tragic deaths.

Shraadh means do it with Shraadha – so do it with faith.

We would all remember the memorial dates by the English calendar. I shall be happy to convert these English dates to the Hindu Calendar if any member wishes to know the exact tithi of their beloved ones.

Members are welcomed to contribute and comment on this subject