PATTNI CONNECTION FORUM

Forum for Parajiya Pattni Soni Members Only

PATTNI CONNECTION FORUM
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: History of Parajiya Pattnis in Mombasa

It was great to read the points enlighted by Jitubhai on the history of Mombasa and wish to add the following:

Shree Anandjibhai Jerambhai was not only the greatest goldsmith craftman in East Africa but was also a perfect valuer of diamonds and other gemstones.In those olden days there were no Gemologist and all our pattni bros used to go and take his advise and valuation of the products.He also had taken an active part during the opening of our Samaj building in 1952. If i am not mistaken Shree Anandjibhai's residence was behind our samaj building.

I consulted few of our Community members(old age Shree Maganlal Muljibhai Ghaghada and Shree Kantilal Morarjibhai) and also made reasearch in Mombasa through Bhagwanji Hansraj (Mithai shop)established in 1896 run by third/fourth generation and came up that Hirji Lakha & Bros shop was registered and established in 1925 and Parmanand Dosa was the first goldsmith shop opened in Mombasa.
As per the Gold allocation Quotas i found out that every year the Government used to allow all the shops to import Gold according to the status of the shop i.e. how many workers do the shop have, turnover of the shop etc. Mainly all our pattnis used ABN AMRO bank to import through Mombasa Goldsmith Assocoition whose first President to my belief was Ahmed Haji Elias.