Enchanted Voyagers Motorcycle Organization Forum

The Enchanted Voyagers Association is a chapter of the American Voyager Association.  The club was formed by Kawasaki Voyager Riders in New Mexico, but is open to all riders.  Please feel free to use this service.

Enchanted Voyagers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tech. help needed

Hello, Happy New Year, does anyone have tbl. shooting info on my voyager XII. Riding home today from the bike blessing rally In San Antonio my speedometer needle started jumping. Similar to a cable getting ready to break. There was a loud whining noise intermittantly when it acted up. Sure enough it went out permenantly & the needle fell off. Immediately after I lost the speedometer the Tachometer started intermittantly jumping. I thought for sure I would have to take out the fairing & tighten the mounting nut. but the speedometer fell off then tach acting up I can't understand their common point.
g.ripps@sbcglobal.net

Re: tech. help needed

Gary
At first reading it sounded like the sending gear on the front wheel, but when you said the needle fell off the speedometer it sounds more like the whole speedometer housing has run out of lubrication. Perhaps when the speedometer part broke parts got into the tach area of the housing. Can't say as I have ever heard of this unit going bad, but that is what it sounds like to me. I know it has oil in it as the manual says if that unit is removed to be sure to keep it upright. This doesn't sound good (or cheap).
The speedometer is mechanical and the tach is electrical, so if metal from the speedometer gets into the electrical part of the tach, that could explain why the tach quit. How bout the temp and fuel gauges?
Don't have any personal experience with this specific problem, but that is my thoughts. Good luck!!

RR