Enchanted Voyagers Motorcycle Organization Forum

The Enchanted Voyagers Association is a chapter of the American Voyager Association.  The club was formed by Kawasaki Voyager Riders in New Mexico, but is open to all riders.  Please feel free to use this service.

Enchanted Voyagers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"If it weren't for Bad Luck"...

Good Morning, Everyone;
I made it home from my trip to see Mother at about 7:30 last night. Mother is 85, and lives in a nursing home. She is a joy to talk to and I spent the better part of 2 days with her. The trip out went without incident, with the V17 averaging between 36 and 40 MPG (I saw 40 a couple of times as I had favorable wind conditions). The trip home went well, except for some stiff headwinds that knocked my gas mileage down to 33-37mpg...That is, until I stopped in Socorro, NM to get gas. It was about 3:15PM, and I was hoping to be home before 5. I filled up the gas tank, then pulled over to the store for some snacks and a bottle of Gatorade. I'm positive the parking space where I parked was dry and clean. When I came out of the store, the first thing I noticed was a large puddle of fresh oil under the bike, and I freaked out. I got down on the ground and looked under the bike, and found the engine case was dry, but there was oil dripping from the rear of the transmission. I got ahold of my insurance company, and they called a wrecker, and that last tank of gas cost me close to $200.00, for the tow into Albuquerque. The bike is still under the extended warranty, so I'm going to get ahold of the dealer this morning, and arrange to get the V17 in for servicing. I'm hoping this will be covered under the warranty. Guess I need to put the battery in the V12 this morning, and get it ready for 'Grunt' (daily driver) duty, because I'm almost convinced they'll have to pull the motor out of the V17 to fix that leak. Many thanks to RR for your 'commiseration' and advice!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank & 'The Grey Ladies'

Re: "If it weren't for Bad Luck"...Update

I took the V17 over to the dealer this morning at about 10:30, requesting that they check out my oil leak problem. I called them at about 3:30, and there was still no report from the tech...and he had left for the day. Guess it's time to go put the battery in the V12, and get her started. More later (I hope)!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank & 'the Grey Ladies'

Re: "If it weren't for Bad Luck"...

Well at least you're in famous company - Cream, Albert King, Jimi Hendrix. I'll commiserate but short on advice. Sounds like you're doing all that can be done. I once had an bike oil leak that only manifested when the motor was off (& it wasn't that bad). While she was running, not even a drip would appear. Sounds like that might be your situation too. I know you checked for the presence of the oil pan drain plug. Good luck for a change.