Enchanted Voyagers Motorcycle Organization Forum

The Enchanted Voyagers Association is a chapter of the American Voyager Association.  The club was formed by Kawasaki Voyager Riders in New Mexico, but is open to all riders.  Please feel free to use this service.

Enchanted Voyagers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Bike in the Stable (Long Post!)

Good Evening, everyone;
Well, after 4 hours at the bank, and 2 hours at the (car) dealer (Part of which was spent waiting for the salesman to find some bolts for the tag), I now have a 2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 sitting in my garage. It's nice after all these decades to own a bike that's still being produced. Price was about $10,900 which I thought was a good deal. After I paid for the bike, I drove home, and had a friend bring me back to the dealer after I had 'dressed out' for riding, and I took a short ride on her which ended at home.
First impressions: It vibrates a LOT more than my V12 does. In fact, it vibrates more than my Triumph Rocket, and any other bike I've ridden since my Honda 450 (1972.) It also handled like a semi-the front was ungodly heavy. It is also a lot louder than I am used to (but not louder than my Triumph.) It was unexpected in a touring bike and I was a bit surprised.
Once I manhandled it out of the car lot, I found that it was very tractable, and would accelerate from near idle in any of the first 3 gears with no problem. The suspension was very smooth, a welcome change from my V12. The seat was very low, but seemed a bit soft. It seemed comfortable, but I am wondering how well it would hold up on a day-long ride. After I got home, I called RR and found out that 1) The vibration was probably normal, you cant expect a V-twin to be as smooth as an I-4, 2) the front tire was supposed to be at 42 PSI (It was at 12 PSI), and 3) The pipes on the first few years are louder than the new ones. Maybe I can retrofit some pipes from the newer bike on this one. In final analysis, this is not 'my fathers' Voyager', and will probably take some getting used to. The best way to do that, is take her on the road. See you at the SFR or the HCT!!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank and 'the girls'