Enchanted Voyagers Motorcycle Organization Forum

The Enchanted Voyagers Association is a chapter of the American Voyager Association.  The club was formed by Kawasaki Voyager Riders in New Mexico, but is open to all riders.  Please feel free to use this service.

Enchanted Voyagers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trip to hill country

Hey RR,Dave,or Richard

I'm thinking about a quick trip to Fredricksburg area next week.
What's a good 300-400 one day round trip for someone who's never been to the area. I
Know we'll have to watch the weather.

Re: Trip to hill country

Pat, isn't it almost 200 miles from your home to Fredericksburg?

Willow City Loop north of town off of TX16y is considered to be very scenic http://maps.google.com/?ll=30.405452,-98.72366&spn=0.073138,0.144882&t=m&z=13&vpsrc=6. RR965 going up past Enchanted Rock is kind of nice too. There's also several other back roads in the area that are very nice. If you use google maps, you can find several back roads between RR965 and RR2323 that are nice such as Weiganhaus road.

Then of course, there's also the biker hang-out of Luckenbach about 10 miles from Fredericksburg.

If you want more info, email me at dns78727@yahoo.com

Are you planning to be there during the week or on the weekend?

Are you overnighting @ F'burg also? I'd recommend the Peach Tree - south of midtown on US87 or the Dietzel Motel @ the NW corner of town on 87 (but has a gravel parking lot)- unless you want something fancy - lots of that on TX16 south of US290. Need a co-rider? I'm probably available (retired ya know). If you're going thru Stinnett prior, ask Rick if he's got those shocks for me. I'd even let you transport 'em down here for me. Listen to Dave on the routes, he knows the area well.

Pat
I have been to and thru Fredericksburg many times. I know there are a lot of good roads, but don't really know enough to recommend any.
I had posted on the LSV forum about your post here, so Dave and Richard posted here. Like Richard said, Dave knows lots of good roads as does Richard.
Hope you have a good trip.

RR

Dave

I wasn't very clear I mean't a 3-4 hundred mile route from Fredricksburg
back to Fredricksburg. We will drive down Tuesday ,ride the area Wednesday
and work our way home Thursday.Also if you or Richard want to ride that
would be great. Richard if Brad gets to go I'll see if he can grab those shocks
from Rick.

Pat, if you're adventurous, this route is 300+miles with a variety of roads and terrain. The routes emailed to you are good also. BTW, if you want to ride close to some wind turbines on your way down or going home, TX153 between Sweetwater and Winters is good for that.

Pat
I've been on that road to Winters. Just make sure you have enough gas. There are no gas stations along the way. I don't believe there is even one in Winters. You would have to make Ballanger or Coleman for gas depending on which way you go. The last time i went that way I talked to a guy at the gas station in Coleman and he had run out along the way and someone gave him some gas. It is a nice ride though. Not a lot of curves but a nice country road. And as Dave said quite a few windmills.

RR

RR
Pat
I've been on that road to Winters. Just make sure you have enough gas. There are no gas stations along the way. I don't believe there is even one in Winters. You would have to make Ballanger or Coleman for gas depending on which way you go. The last time i went that way I talked to a guy at the gas station in Coleman and he had run out along the way and someone gave him some gas. It is a nice ride though. Not a lot of curves but a nice country road. And as Dave said quite a few windmills.
RR

I don't think the convenience store at US83 and TX153 is open anymore but a google search shows four gas stations in Winters. However, just to be on the safe side, I would advise not passing up any gas stations if you have less than 100 miles of fuel left. Gas stations can be scarce in parts of the hill country too.

Pat, in the future, questions like this one would probably get more responses if posted to the LSV forum at http://pub6.bravenet.com/forum/491463454#bn-forum-1-1-491463454/12 You don't need to be a member to post there.

Winters has gas - downtown but gas up in Sweetwater at the Shell @ Interstate/ TX70 - it's alcohol-free.

Pat O', I'm assuming that you don't do e-mail, so I'm gonna call you.

Pat, sounds like these guys are a load of information. After Monday here in Borger sounds like the weather won't be too bad. As of right now i will be ready. I will E-mail Roger and i still can't get a hold of Johnny C.