Return to Website

Illinois Pro-Life Forum

Welcome to the Illinois Pro-Life Forum hosted by the Illinois Federation for Right to Life. Here visitors can post their Pro-Life ideas, comments, events, and discussions. Messages with cursing, slurs and direct attacks on visitors will be removed and or banned from use of this message forum.

Illinois Pro-Life Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pro Choice

I have been doing research on abortion for my philosophy class, and I am finding it absolutely sickening to read the pro-life sites. The pro-life sites never ever give the pro-choice side of the issue. All I see is that most pro-life advocates base their decision on religion, which by the way should not be influencing a political decision based on the separation of church and state. I also see that pro-life advocates are not willing to understand that a woman not only has a right to choose, but that a minor has a right to choose whether her parents are involved in the decision or not. There are parents who are forcing their 12 year old daughters to have the baby because of their religious values, even though going through labor might kill the girl.

Re: Pro Choice

Good evening Diana.

Congratulations for picking an excellent topic for research. Abortion is a very important issue in our society today; although, you might not think that by the way some people do not even give it a second thought. I too utilize my school classroom and papers as a platform to educate people on the topic of abortion. My view however, is that abortion is an atrocity that drawfs all other previous atrocities known to mankind. Since the decision in Roe-v-Wade in 1973 over 45 million unborn children have been killed due to abortion in the United States alone.

I understand your concern about finding factual information not only on the internet but in publication as well. Good news; the information is available. Look up the name of Robert P. George. If you can run across a copy of his book "The Clash of Orthodoxies" I think that he will answer all your questions about the anti-abortion point of view. As a matter of fact, George in this book and in other publications states the pro-abortion view, most of the time better than pro-abortion advocates, and then in great detail explains the deficiencies of the arguments; leaving an individual with the thought that abortion, in no way, can be right. George can argue the anti-abortion point of view on the religious, political, social and yes philisophical levels.

I just completed my second research paper. In this paper I am comparing the similiarities between the atrocity of abortion and the atrocity of slavery. The simliarities are unbelieveable; starting with the court rulings justifying both.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

I would be more than willing to read, and most likely have already read, any books or publications you suggest that argues against the anti-abortion belief that life begins at conception and that an abortion is not preventing this life but is in fact terminating this life.

Peter